These Fair Streets Are Filled With Innovation
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:11:44 -0700 (PDT)
O A K L A N D I S H   |   newsletter   |   June 5, 2010
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
 - Innovators Award Winners!
 - Temescal Street Fair (is summer Sunday incarnate)
 - "Oaklavia" means car-free streets through you know where
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

The Oaklandish Innovators Awards for 2010 are being given to a group of organizations that bring creativity and passion to the work of growing and sustaining a healthy mosaic of urban communities. These annual awards represent the largest grants that Oaklandish makes each year. We would like to offer a thundering and boisterous Thank You! to this year's award winners for their oversized contributions to our community. We also humbly thank all of you who support Oaklandish - it's your local love, we're just the intermediaries.

THE BIKERY
http://thebikery.weebly.com/

2289 International Blvd. Oakland, CA 94606

The Bikery is a used bike and repair shop that offers work/trade opportunities to middle school students. These young participants earn their way towards a customized Donk bike that they have built themselves, learning personal and bicycle safety and defense in the process. The Bikery experience teaches its participants the value of work, the pride of ownership, and the feeling of freedom that comes from riding a bike they made through the neighborhoods they live in.

PLANTING JUSTICE
http://www.plantingjustice.org

5252 Claremont Ave, Oakland, CA 94618

Planting Justice creates energy and water-efficient gardens that demonstrate how to grow a complete nutritional diet in our own urban neighborhoods. Specifically, they are building an aquaculture Fish Farm and Edible Garden that will provide student participants both nutritious food for their bodies and income for their college fund to feed their minds.

DIMOND'S HIDDEN JEWELS MURAL
an elementary school art and neighborhood history visualization

The art students of Sequoia Elementary School together with local artist Amanda Lockwood will create a 60-foot long mural of the timeline of the Dimond neighborhood from the native Ohlones until today. The mural created as part of the students' inspirational learning will then inspire others as it becomes part of the landscape in the Dimond.

OAKLAND URBAN PATHS
http://www.oaklandurbanpaths.wordpress.com

Oakland Urban Paths is a group of dedicated walkers, planners, and historians whose common mission is to maintain and celebrate the heritage of Oakland's paths and stairways. These urban paths weave together neighborhoods and are an important piece of our physical and social infrastructure.

OAKLAND UNDERGROUND FILM FESTIVAL
http://www.oakuff.org

The Oakland Underground Film Festival emphasizes local filmmakers, social justice, urban life, and the environment. The festival provides a look at films that entertain, educate, and inspire. In addition to the annual event in September in the Jack London Square neighborhood, the OUFF produces original works and hosts special events and presentations throughout the year.

OAKLAND LEAF
http://www.oaklandleaf.org

1434 34th Ave. Oakland, CA

Oakland Leaf works with young people to foster a more just, rich, and loving society in our neighborhoods where self-determination is a reality. The annual All Oakland Youth Talent Show is a testament to their ten years of success helping Oakland's youth to "be the ones we have been waiting for."

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

TEMESCAL STREET FAIR
http://www.temescalstreetfair.com

TOMORROW: Sunday, June 6th from Noon – 6pm
Telegraph Avenue between 45th and 51st

Join us at the 7th annual Temescal Street Fair in Oakland! Sunny Summer Sundays are made for this. There will be a main stage full of live entertainment and music, a kids stage, the Taste of Temescal, an artist alley, a fashion show, a waiter's race, circus arts, art- making, and more!

Valet bike parking by East Bay Bike Coalition!
8 blocks from MacArthur BART!

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

OAKLAVIA (Oak-la-VEE-ya)
http://www.oaklavia.org

Sunday, June 27th from 10am – 2pm
Car-free streets from Uptown to Jack London Square

Oaklavía takes the concept of street festival to the next level, allowing participants to experience the city's best natural and architectural assets, outdoor activities, and arts in our most well- loved and unique streets and neighborhoods.

There will be organized activities spaced out along the route. Explore the vibrancy of Old Oakland dancing to live Latin music, circus arts at the Kinetic Arts Center, dance classes by the YMCA, bike repair classes by Love Your Bike, bike safety classes led by EBBC, and food carts.

"Like This:"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oaklandish/307785720017

Follow:
http://www.twitter.com/0aklandish