Workin' the Corner
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 09:38:54 -0800 (PST)
O A K L A N D I S H   |   newsletter   |   November 14, 2009
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
{ contents }
Oakland Innovators Award deadline December 1
Up-coming Oaklandish schedule, events in Oakland
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
OAKLAND INNOVATORS AWARD
Don't forget that the deadline for applications for our 2010 Innovators Awards is coming up. All applications due December 1. For more information:
http://www.oaklandish.com/COMMUNITY/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Fridays, 8am-2pm
You can now find Oaklandish at the Old Oakland Farmers' Market (one of the original local markets that's been around for years) on Fridays. This market is on 9th between Broadway and Clay. The Oaklandish booth is just above Washington St.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Saturdays, 9am-2pm
Sundays, 9am-1pm
As most of you know, we are always at the Grand Lake Farmers' Market every Saturday with the rig, and at the Temescal Market in the DMV parking lot on Sundays.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Saturday, 11/14, 9:30am-1pm
NEST, A HOLIDAY SHOPPING EVENT AT STUDIO GROW
1235 10th St., Berkeley (just north of Gilman)
Adult admission is free and kids can enjoy the play space for a discounted price of $5 while parents support local vendors for holiday- season gifts.
http://www.studiogrow.com/berkeley
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Saturday, 11/14, 3-9pm
ORGANIC ROOTZ TRUNK SHOW
2435 Channing Way, Berkeley
We will be at this event celebrating the one-year anniversary of the store Organic Rootz, one of the retail stores that carries Oaklandish apparel. There will be DJs, other local vendors, and a special deal of a 10% discount and no sales tax on all Oaklandish gear.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=172928523755
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
WORKIN' THE CORNER
You can find Oaklandish on the corner of Piedmont Ave. and Pleasant Valley, in front of the Piedmont Piano Company on Sundays from 12-5pm. Oaklandish posts up on this corner with the rig around the Holidays. We will be there every Sunday afternoon until Thanksgiving, and starting December 1st, we'll also be there Tuesday-Friday, 12-6pm. We will also head over there on Saturdays after the Grand Lake Farmers' Market and set up from 3-6pm.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Friday, November 27, noon-5pm
PLAID FRIDAY
Plaid Friday celebrates the diversity and creativity of Bay Area independent businesses. Envisioned to be the independent business alternative to the big box store "Black Friday," Plaid Friday is designed to help raise awareness about shopping local and supporting the local economy. Keep an eye out for info in the Express about special Plaid Friday deals from local shops. Oaklandish will be posted up at the top of Piedmont Ave. on Plaid Friday from noon-5pm.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Thursday, 12/3, 5-8pm
FARLEY'S NON-PROFIT HAPPY HOUR
Farley's East, 33 Grand Ave, Oakland.
We are very proud to have the Oakland Innovators award program featured at this new coffee shop and community center's "Non-Profit Happy Hour." Join us from 5-8pm for free appetizers while raising funds to support the 2010 Oakland Innovators award winners. Twenty percent of the evening's sales will be donated to the Oakland Innovators, so come and spend freely! A special invitation goes out to Innovators applicants for 2010 and anyone else interested in the program.
http://www.farleyscoffee.com/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Thursday, 12/10 and Friday, 12/11
OAKLAND UNWRAPPED - HOLIDAY BUY NIGHT
This Holiday Shopping Event takes place at Jack London Square both these evenings from 5-10pm. It features shops and artists from Oakland Unwrapped!, Pro Arts, and Oakland Grown. In addition to all the local artisans and vendors, there will be food, music, and entertainment.
http://oaklandunwrapped.org/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Friday, 12/11, 6-9pm
SWARM GALLERY OPENING
Oaklandish will be all over Jack London Square this night! In addition to the Holiday Buy Night, we will also have the rig at the opening of Swarm's Shop Show, a pop-up shop/curated show from 12/11/09-1/24/2010. You can find an Oaklandish satellite store in the gallery these dates, with extended gallery hours of 12-6pm, Tues-Sun.
http://www.swarmgallery.com/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Saturday, December 12th, 5-9pm
LOCAL LOVE
Presented by the merchants of the 40th Street Corridor.
Celebrate local art, goods, and community with simultaneous holiday parties at 1-2-3-4 Go! Records, ISSUES, Manifesto, Mercy Vintage Now, Premium Tattoo & Vintage, Rowan Morrison Gallery, & Subrosa Coffee Oaklandish can be found outside of one of our favorite bike shops: Manifesto.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
TELEGRAPH AVE. HOLIDAY ST. FAIR
12/12, 12/13, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 12/24 from 11am-6pm
Oaklandish, and other local vendors will add to the colors (tie-dye?) of Telegraph Ave. on these days. We will be there up until the 24th (for you procrastinators who do your holiday shopping at the very last minute).
http://www.telegraphfair.com/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Saturday and Sunday, 12/19 and 12/20
11am-7pm
RENEGADE CRAFT FAIR
Fort Mason Center Herbst Pavillion
Although we are Oaklandish, and keep it in the East Bay most of the time, we occasionally venture to the city of San Francisco. This is another chance to support local artisans with any holiday shopping that you do.
http://www.renegadecraft.com/holiday-sf
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Other activities in The Town...
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Friday, 12/4, 6-10pm
VELO WONDERLAND: BIKE AND ART PARTY
Uptown Body & Fender, 401 26th St. Oakland
This party is in celebration of East Bay Bicycle Coalition's work this year. Free admission, DJs, and beer from Linden St. Brewery
http://www.ebbc.org/velowonderland
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Oakland Innovator Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is going strong all year round:
Friday, 11/13, 10pm
GIRLS ROCK CAMP ALLIANCE (GRCA) BENEFIT SHOW
El Rio, 3158 Mission St., San Francisco, $5 cover
Featuring performances by bands of BAGRC staff and volunteers.
SILENT AUCTION
Friday, 12/4, 7-10pm
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is also having a Silent Auction to benefit their program. The auction will feature art and handmade crafts by local artists.
Local 123 Cafe, 2049 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley
ATTENTION ARTISTS: BAGRC is still taking submissions for this auction. Please donate your artwork, jewelry, or craft. Youth submissions are encouraged. You can mail your submission to: Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, 1904 Franklin St. Suite 500, Oakland, CA 94612. To schedule a pick up or drop-off of your artwork, call 510 394 8647.
pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.twitter.com/0aklandish
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish