BOO!
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:35:47 -0700 (PDT)

O A K L A N D I S H   |   newsletter   |   October 22, 2009
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
{ contents }
The Oaklandish Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest
News from the Oakland Innovators Award winners
Oaklandish T-Shirt Design Contest
Fresh new apparel designs
Oakland Zoo collaboration
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST
Saturday, October 31st, 2009
Corner of Piedmont Ave. and Pleasant Valley, in front of the Piedmont Piano Company, 11am-5pm. Join Oaklandish in the Halloween festivities with a Pumpkin Carving Contest. Bring your carved pumpkins to decorate the Piano Company parking lot and the trees behind it all day. The contest has two categories: 3rd grade and below, and 4th grade through 8th grade. The prizes include family memberships to the Oakland Zoo, tickets to Fairyland, and gift certificates to Fenton's. There will also be trick- or-treating and a Halloween parade along Piedmont Avenue. Parade starts at 11am and ends about 11:30 at Linda. Then head to the pumpkin patch meadow at Mountain View Cemetery from noon to 3pm after the parade where children can choose a free pumpkin and enjoy five "jumpers," a hay bale tunnel, a clown balloon artist, face painting, crafts, refreshments, and a treat bag. We love Halloween!
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
SCRAPER BIKE DAY
Also on Halloween, 4pm at Fremont High School Campus
This event, put on by Original Scraper Bikes, one of the 2009 Oakland Innovators Award winners, will feature live hip hop performances and will be followed by the annual Halloween Scraper Bike Ride.
http://www.scraperbikes.net
http://www.facebook.com/scraperbikeking
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
CYCLES OF CHANGE, another 2009 Oakland Innovators Award winners, is proud to announce the opening of their second community bike shop - The Bikery at 2289 International Blvd (at 23rd Ave.)
* Used bikes for sale
* Parts and accessories for your bike
* Bike repairs
In November, Cycles of Change will start a monthly open shop DIY bike repair night! 1st Thursdays will be WTF night (Womyn, Trans, & Femme) and 2nd Thursdays will be Spanish speakers' night, both 6:30-9pm.
The Bikery Hours: Tues/Thurs 3-7pm and Saturdays 11am-5pm
Cycles of Change continues to do great work at schools with their Bike Clubs at Bret Harte, Edna Brewer, and Roosevelt Middle Schools, and Met West High.
Contact Cycles of Change: 510-536-6732 or thebikery [at] cyclesofchange.org
www.cyclesofchange.org
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
BAY AREA GIRLS ROCK CAMP, another fabulous Oakland Innovators Award winner, is now accepting applications for their Girls Rock After School Program (GRASP), which begins on January 12th. GRASP is held at Oakland School for the Arts, one day a week for ten weeks. Each day consists of instrument lessons, band practice, and workshops, and culminates in a live showcase performance. For more info or to sign up, go to:
http://www.bayareagirlsrockcamp.org
CALL FOR ART!!!
Bay Area Girls Rock Camp is seeking art submissions for their end-of- year silent auction; all proceeds will go directly towards their rockin' year-round programs for girls. Submissions due November 19th. The auction will take place on December 4th at Local 123 café in Berkeley. Drop-off/mailing address: 1904 Franklin St., Suite 500, Oakland, CA 94612
For questions or to schedule a drop-off, please contact:
carey [at] bayareagirlsrockcamp.org, or call (510) 394-8647
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
OAKLANDISH T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST
We are accepting submissions until February 1st, 2010 for our t-shirt design contest (deadline extended). The grand prize is $250, plus a stack of shirts with your design. For more information, go to:
http://www.oaklandish.com/contest.html
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
And always coming up with fresh new apparel, Oaklandish just printed a new t-shirt called "Faces," featuring the faces of famous guys (gals' version coming soon) from The Town, like Shock G, Too Short, Tom Hanks, and many more:
http://tinyurl.com/yklk4h5
We also just printed a new kids' t-shirt with the extremely popular image of the 580-Harrison St. giraffe mural! This lil' tee just has room for the baby giraffe's face. It's pretty adorable.
http://tinyurl.com/ylacr2f
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Speaking of animal-themed t-shirts, the crew at Oaklandish is very excited to collaborate with the Oakland Zoo's Conservation program on an up-coming t-shirt design. Our next t-shirt will feature a chimpanzee from the Oakland Zoo, and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Budongo Snare Removal Project in Uganda. If you want to see pictures of the very rainy Oaklandish field trip to the zoo earlier this week, check out the blog at:
http://oaklandishtownlove.blogspot.com/
pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.twitter.com/0aklandish