Arts-In-Action Winner: Favianna Rodriguez
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:09:13 -0700 (PDT)
O A K L A N D I S H   |   newsletter   |   April 7, 2009
-------------------------
{ contents }
announcements: Innovators Award Reception and Arts-in-Action Winner
Spring Clearance: last week of great deals on clearance t-shirts at the Grand Lake Farmers' Market fun events: Pecha Kucha, Hood Games Earth Day Event, Free Easter Egg Hunt, and more...
-------------------------
-------------------------
INNOVATORS AWARDS
The Most Known Unknown: Oaklandish Reception
To honor this year's Innovators Award winners, Oaklandish partnered with the Oakland Museum and the Port of Oakland for an exhibit at the Oakland International Airport featuring the public art of several of the recipients of the Innovators Awards. We honored all of the winners for their pioneering work in our community at a reception held this past Thursday at the Oakland Airport's Tower Lounge. The winners were: Kung Fu Grocery, Youth Spirit Artworks, Original Scraper Bikes, Cycles of Change, Bay Area Girls Rock Camp, and Town Park. For more information about the 2009 Oaklandish Innovators Award and the reception, check out http://www.oaklandish.com/COMMUNITY/ community.html and http://www.ibabuzz.com/outtakes/category/night-owl/ oaklandish/
-------------------------
-------------------------
ARTS-IN-ACTION GRANT
Oaklandish began as a covert public art campaign designed to bring a sense of history and culture to the underutilized public spaces of this city. Eight years later we continue that legacy by encouraging other local artists to create their own Oakland-centric works in the public realm. With the Arts-in-Action Grant of $5,000, Oaklandish aims to provoke public discourse and inspire creative activity throughout our urban landscape.

Favianna Rodriguez, artist and entrepreneur, has been working to make art more accessible and participatory in creative ways for many years. Favianna is a printmaker and new media artist who began designing her well-known political posters in the 1990s. Her illustrations portray messages related to community efforts to defend immigrant and women’s rights, empower youth, and bring recognition to the effects of war and globalization on communities of color and the poor worldwide. Favianna has gone far beyond incorporating political activism and social messages in her own art. In 2001, she co-founded EastSide Arts Alliance (ESAA) and Visual Element in Oakland to train young artists in muralism. In 2003, Favianna was involved in establishing the Taller Tupac Amaru print studio, and she is also the co-founder and president of Tumis Inc., a bilingual design studio. Favianna has mentored many young artists through these programs, and travels all over the world working with other organizations using visual communications to promote social change. With the Arts-in- Action grant, Favianna will collaborate with the National Network for Immigrant & Refugee Rights to create “American Dream,” an interdisciplinary media project focusing on printed posters and online media tools to create a message around immigrant workers in Oakland.
For more info: http://www.favianna.com
-------------------------
-------------------------
SPRING CLEARANCE on Oaklandish Gear
Don't miss the last day of our Spring Clearance Sale this weekend!! Saturday, April 11, from 9-2 at the Grand Lake Farmers' Market. Score unbeatable deals on discontinued designs and one-of-a-kind samples. One t-shirt for $15, two t-shirts for $25, and three for $30! We only have this sale twice a year, so don't miss out.

If you've been waiting for something new, we debuted fresh designs for men and women last week, and will have new children's designs printed with eco-friendly, water-based inks this weekend! Come see us at the Grand Lake Farmers' Market in this beautiful springtime sunshine (well, it was)!

Also newly available at the markets: Oaklandish Gift Certificates -- the perfect present!

Regular designs also available Sundays at the Temescal Farmer's Market, 9am-1pm and online at http://www.oaklandish.com/shop
-------------------------
-------------------------
PECHA KUCHA NIGHT OAKLAND
Friday, April 10 at 8pm
10 artists/20 slides/20 seconds. Join EastSide Arts Alliance, Samurai Graphix, and Hard Knock Radio to see the eclectic work of talented local artists. Among others, K-Dub (2009 Oaklandish Innovators Award Winner) and Favianna Rodriguez (the Oaklandish 2009 Arts-in-Action Grant Winner) will be presenting their work. EastSide Cultural Center, 2277 International Blvd. @ 23rd Ave.
-------------------------
-------------------------
MOSSWOOD EASTER EGG HUNT
Saturday, April 11, from 11am-3pm
Free event including face painting, petting zoo, jumpers, raffles, live music and more fun for the family. Mosswood Park, 3612 Webster.
http://www.ceoofoakland.com/
-------------------------
-------------------------
HOOD GAMES 15
Saturday, April 25th, 11am-4pm
Free Earth Day Event. Acorn-Woodland Elementary, East Oakland. Join K- Dub from Town Park for food, music, art, and a health food fair at the "Love Yo Mama" Earth Day event.
http://www.hoodgamesskate.com/
-------------------------
-------------------------
OAKLAND UNITED HAPPY HOUR
Friday, April 24, from 5:00pm-9:00pm, and every last Friday
Free admission. Every last Friday, join local folks who are working for social change in and around Oakland for happy hour with Hip Hop, Classics, Soul, and Funk. Oasis, 135 12th St., Oakland.
-------------------------
-------------------------
GIRLS ROCK! The Movie
Thursday, April 30th at 3pm
The Bay Area Girls Rock Camp (another 2009 Oaklandish Innovators Award winner) is screening this film about last year's summer camp. Elmwood Cinema, 2966 College Ave., Berkeley. Also, check out the Ladies Rock Camp Showcase on Sunday, May 3rd at the Starry Plough. BAGRC is now accepting applications for volunteers and campers for both their Girls Rock and Ladies Rock summer sessions. For more info: http://www.bayareagirlsrockcamp.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
** I Like The Parkway **
The Parkway Speakeasy Theater closed its doors on March 22nd, 2009. "I Like The Parkway" is a grassroots movement of people who care about the Parkway Theater, the Eastlake residential and business communities, and Oakland at large. This group is taking steps to make the Parkway a theater again. If you want to stay updated with their progress or have skills or contacts to help out with the effort, please visit them at http://www.iliketheparkway.com
-------------------------
-------------------------
MOUTH OFF WEDNESDAY
Hot Water Cornbread and Air Lounge present a weekly open mic. Come enjoy poetry, spoken word, and music at open mics every Wednesday at the Air Lounge. Sign up at 7:30. 21 and over, $2.00 cover. Air Lounge, 492 9th St., Oakland.
Pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish
http://www.youtube.com/oaklandish