Best of the East Bay
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 00:16:57 -0700 (PDT)
O A K L A N D I S H | newsletter | July 1, 2008
-------------------------
{ contents }
July 10: Temescal Street Cinema
July 11: Best of the East Bay Express Party
July 12: Oakland Food Connection Rooftop Gardening
July 19: Roots and Branches Block Party
July 20: Oaklandish Salsa by the Lake
... plus 4 Square of the East Bay and People's Grocery Grub Box
-------------------------
-------------------------
NEW DESIGNS ONLINE + FREE SHIPPING... for a limited time!
We've made the Oaklandish webstore easier to use, plus we've added dozens of new items including a zip hoody for kids, East Bay tees for men & women, and summer tees for all.

To celebrate winning "Best East Bay Product" for 2008 (thanks to everyone who voted for us!), we're offering free shipping at the Oaklandish online store.
Shop online now: http://www.oaklandish.com/shop
Or, come see us in person at the Grand Lake and Temescal farmer's markets Saturdays and Sundays respectively. (We'll have lots of new clearance items at the Grand Lake market Saturday to make way for the new designs!)
-------------------------
-------------------------
TEMESCAL STREET CINEMA
A free outdoor movie series featuring Bay Area filmmakers. 49th street @ Telegraph, Oakland. Limited seating. Come early or bring a chair!
July 3rd - no show due to holiday!
July 10th @ 9:20PM - Runner's High: An inspiring film about Oakland youth who train for and run a marathon with Students Run Oakland. ("It's 26.2 miles from East Oakland to anywhere they want to go.") plus Change the Nation: opening music video by Oakland Youth Rap group, Tha' Faculty. Oaklandish will be present bringing some flavor with our Local Love Mobile Store!
More info: temescalstreetcollective.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
BEST OF THE EAST BAY EXPRESS PARTY
To celebrate the winners of the Best of the East Bay, the Express is throwing a huge performing and visual arts party at the Oakland Museum on Friday, July 11 from 7pm to midnight. Headlining bands include: Flipper, The Uptones, Dyloot (Deep Voices), Destroyer, Monarchs, The Whoreshoes, HOTTUB, Mike Glen Dinning, Brandi Shearer, DJ Malachi, and The Kev Choice Ensemble. Also featuring dance performances by Savage Jazz Dance, Splash Circus, 3-minute short film screenings, live art, and more. This free event is the premier night- time party of the summer! How often do you get to be at the museum at midnight?
More info: museumca.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
OAKLAND FOOD CONNECTION
On July, 12 from 10am-3pm, Oaklanders and fellow Bay Area volunteers will gather at E.C. Reems Academy @ 8425 Mac Arthur Blvd. to continue with the construction of East Oakland's first rooftop garden. Activities are led by Oakland Food Connection and Bay Localize staff: garden box construction, hauling of compost via bucket brigade, planting of new vegetables and more. Please bring gloves and bottled water. If you have extra power tools, hammers, nails or extra wood, please contact project director Jason Harvey w: 510-482-1898 c: 510-290-0520
More info: http://foodcommunityculture.org/
-------------------------
-------------------------
ROOTS AND BRANCHES
A community-building block party with a speech from an Oakland community leader (Rev. Phil Lewis aka Motorcycle Mike) plus performances from local youth and adult artists (Bumpitythump, Gemz,
Big Hurt & Banger Bananas, and gal*in_dog), live art and a free meal. Saturday, July 19th from 2-6 pm @ the Island Park on Adeline Avenue at 61st Street in North Oakland. Free event for all ages, open to the public.
More info: http://rootsandbranchesoakland.blogspot.com/
-------------------------
-------------------------
SALSA BY THE LAKE
Oaklandish Presents: 3rd Annual Salsa by the Lake!
Come and be part of the essential ingredients for this flavorful Salsa event! LIVE Music by Orchesta Salsa Dura. This 8-man Salsa band will provide all the hard-pounding montuno and Barrio-conscious music and lyrics from the 70's. Don't know how to dance or want to pick up some new moves - no problem! Free Salsa lessons brought to you by the great : Isaac. Don't want to dance? Come anyway and enjoy the view and the breezes off the Lake. At the Lake Merritt Pergola (between Lakeshore & Grand), July 20th from 2:30pm-6pm. This event is free!!
-------------------------
-------------------------
4 SQUARE OF THE EAST BAY
Capture the Flag is still homeless, so in the meantime we'll play foursquare. Every Thursday night at 9pm in the Rockridge Bart parking lot. Just show up, play some square, talk to folks and leave with a good summery feeling.
More info: http://www.myspace.com/4squareeastbay
-------------------------
-------------------------
PEOPLE'S GROCERY
Sign up for their new Grub Box - a market basket from the People's Grocery farm (supplemented by outside producers) that is geared at providing quality fresh fruits and vegetables to West Oakland families at low prices on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
More info: http://peoplesgrocery.org/brahm/peoples-grocery/grub-box-a- win-win-win
Pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish