Temescal Street Fair
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 23:56:34 -0700 (PDT)
O A K L A N D I S H | newsletter | June 6, 2008
-------------------------
{ contents }
vote: Best of the East Bay awards
events: Temescal Street Fair, Noodle Factory, Temescal Street Cinema, Oakland Poetry Slam
announcement: third of 5 Oaklandish Innovators Award Winners
update: Capture the Flag [R.I.P.]
apply: Sundance Documentary Film Program
where: Oaklandish Mobile Ops
-------------------------
-------------------------
VOTE
Best of the East Bay - East Bay Express
These awards celebrate all the wonderful things about living in the East Bay! Poll ends June 16, so show your love and cast your votes now for Oaklandish as "Best East Bay product" or the Lake Merritt Radio Regatta as the best summer event (in "best category we didn't think of"). Thanks!
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/poll?poll=oid%3A726988
-------------------------
-------------------------
TEMESCAL STREET FAIR
*tomorrow* Saturday, June 7, 2008 - noon to 6pm
on Telegraph between 47th and 51st
This FREE event features live music, crafts, food samplings from local restaurants, a fashion show, and wares from local artisans and designers, including the Oaklandish Ops mobile store. Delicious food and drinks from Lanesplitter, Bakesale Betty, and much more. Green Zone: Displays of alternative energy, vehicles, bikes and services. Art Making with East Bay Depot.
http://www.temescalmerchants.com/events.htm
-------------------------
-------------------------
NOODLE FACTORY SNEAK PREVIEW
Perhaps you remember the Noodle Factory from 2000-2005 when it was one of Oakland's premiere venues for underground art and performance. In 2005, the building was donated to the Northern California Land Trust, which has renovated the space into a cutting edge, permanently affordable work-live space project for low-income artists and artisans.

The Noodle Factory Performing Arts Center is the centerpiece of the renovation. With a 1,700 square foot theater and separate 1000 square foot rehearsal space, it will provide local performing artists with an affordable, state-of-the-art, fully-equipped facility to create and present the most exciting live local performance in the Bay Area.

The official opening is in September, but on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at 6:30pm, there will be sneak-preview Open House of the raw space. Enjoy refreshments, tour the facility, and discuss how this new venue can best serve the needs of our region. Please RSVP to maya [at] noodlefactory.org. The Noodle Factory is at 1255 26th St @ Union (gray warehouse with blue window frames and a bright orange door on 26th).
-------------------------
-------------------------
TEMESCAL STREET CINEMA
A FREE outdoor summer movie series featuring Bay Area filmmakers. Free popcorn and special events. Limited seating. Come early or bring a chair. Thursday nights at 8:30 @ 49th and Telegraph. This week's kickoff was a great success, so be sure to check it out over the next 6 weeks. For more information and a movie schedule: http:// www.temescalstreetcollective.org/
-------------------------
-------------------------
OAKLAND POETRY SLAM TEAM FINALS
Thursday, June 12 @ 8pm, KTOP Studios, 250 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza. It's that time yet again, time for all of the local Slams to put their teams together for the National Poetry Slam this August in Madison, WI. The poets with the top four cumulative scores will comprise The 2008 Oakland Slam Team!
-------------------------
-------------------------
INNOVATORS AWARD
Our third Oaklandish Innovators Award and $5,000 grant goes to:
- Youth Spirit Art Works -
Youth Spirit Art Works is a non-profit organization modeled after the very successful youth commercial arts program in New Orleans called YA/YA. Youth Spirit Art Works is designed to empower and transform the lives of homeless and at-risk East Bay youth ages 16-25 through commercial art job training, and community art making in order to be professionally self-sufficient by acquiring the experience, training, and self confidence needed to meet their full potential. YSAW carries out its mission through three main programs: art furniture painting and commercial ventures, building community through public art, and art for social change.
http://youthspiritartworks.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
UPDATE
Capture the Flag: there will no longer be any capture the flag games in Frank Ogawa Plaza. The City has notified the organizers that they will not issue a permit for the games. Here are some excerpts from an email from the City: "Frank Ogawa Plaza is a City park and any activity of this type requires a park use permit... [u]se of a City of Oakland park without a permit is a violation of the Oakland Municipal Code, and participants are subject to receiving a citation." Discussions about an alternate venue are underway, so we will keep you posted as we learn more. This would have been the sixth summer season of the Capture the Flag games.
-------------------------
-------------------------
SUNDANCE INSTITUTE DOCUMENTARY FILM PROGRAM
Call for Entries / Funding Opportunities. Deadline: July 7, 2008.
With so many talented filmmakers in Oakland, we thought that we should pass this along: each year, the Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program awards more than $1.5 million in grants to support documentary films focused on contemporary social issues.
http://www.sundance.org/documentary or www.sundance.org/DocSource
-------------------------
-------------------------
SHOP ONLINE or LIVE
We won't be at the Grand Lake or Temescal farmer's markets this weekend. Instead, you can find us on Saturday at the Temescal Street Fair (noon-6pm) or Sunday at the Haight Ashbury Street Festival (11-6pm).
or, shop online: http://www.oaklandish.com/shop/index.php
Pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish