Hot Town
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
Summer in the cIty.... Is the back of your neck dirty and gritty?

O A K L A N D I S H | newsletter | May 15, 2008
-------------------------
{ contents }
announcements: SECOND of 5 Oaklandish Innovators Award Winners
events: Oakland Food Connection, People's Grocery, WOBO and more
webstore: new products online + sale items @ Grand Lake
-------------------------
-------------------------
INNOVATORS AWARD:
Our second Oaklandish Innovators Award and $5,000 grant goes to:
Bay Area Video Coalition (BAVC)
The Bay Area Video Coalition is a non-profit founded by a group of media makers and activists looking to find alternative, civic-minded applications for new technologies. Its mission is to empower creative expression, and enlarge the cultural and economic involvement of underrepresented groups. BAVC's mission is based in the strong belief that storytelling is powerful to both the maker and the audience and envisions bringing together industry, government, non-profit organizations, plus a multi-generational mix of artists, media professionals, educators, low-income youth and adults.
more info: http://www.bavc.org/give/index.htm
-------------------------
-------------------------
WALK OAKLAND BIKE OAKLAND
Friday, May 16 @ mama buzz (2318 Telegraph). May is bike month. Come celebrate with WOBO, an all-volunteer bicycle & pedestrian advocacy group, from 6pm on at Mama Buzz. Music, beverages and info on bike and pedestrian projects in Oakland.
more info: http://www.walkoaklandbikeoakland.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
ROOFTOP GARDEN @ EC REEMS
This Saturday, May 17 from 10am-3pm at E.C. Reems Academy of Technology and Arts (8425 Mac Arthur). Help with the construction of East Oakland's first rooftop garden. Activities led by Oakland Food Connection and Bay Localize staff: garden box construction, hauling of compost via bucket brigade, planting of new vegetables and more. Please bring gloves and bottled water. If you have extra power tools, hammers,nails or extra wood, please contact project director Jason Harvey w: 510-482-1898 or c: 510-290-0520
more info: http://foodcommunityculture.org/
-------------------------
-------------------------
GET YOUR GRUB ON WITH PEOPLE'S GROCERY
also on Saturday, May 17 from 11am-2pm at DeFremery Park (1651 Adeline). Come celebrate and learn about the connections between food, health, culture and community. Featuring: Jay Foster (guest chef) giving some cooking demonstrations, nutrition workshop and games, guest DJ's, dancing, fresh produce giveaways, visual arts exhibition, poetry and performance art. This event is free & open to everyone.
more info: peoplesgrocery.org
-------------------------
-------------------------
COOL REMIXED
Thursday, May 22 from 4pm-8pm @ the Oakland Museum (1000 Oak Street). Opening Reception for COOL REMIXED - BAY AREA URBAN ART AND CULTURE NOW, an exhibition featuring graffiti, DJ's, street fashion, scraper bikes, video, skate culture, and artwork created on a range of media - including car hoods and sneakers. The exhibition will also include amazing art from Streetside Productions/EBAYC, Youth UpRising, Youth Radio, Visual Element/ESAA, Oakland High's VAAMP Academy, Town Park, and Graf King ESTRIA.
more info: http://museumca.org/exhibit/exhi_cool_remix.html
-------------------------
-------------------------
ART&SOUL POSTER CONTEST
Attention printmakers and designers: Pro Arts is now accepting submissions for the 2008 Art & Soul limited edition silkscreen print and T-Shirt design. The selected design will be featured at this year's Art & Soul festival, Labor Day Weekend, Downtown Oakland. Designs must use 4 colors and highlight the festival's celebratory theme. Please contact David Huff at david [at] proartsgallery.org for more information.
-------------------------
-------------------------
TEMESCAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, June 7 from noon-6pm on Telegraph between 47th and 51st. The fair will feature live music, crafts, food samplings from local restaurants, a fashion show, and wares from local artisans and designers, including the Oaklandish Ops mobile store.
-------------------------
-------------------------
NEW DESIGNS ONLINE
We've made the Oaklandish webstore easier to use, plus we've added tons of new items including a zip hoody for kids, Sunny Side of the Bay tees for men & women, and summer tees for all.
Shop online: http://www.oaklandish.com/shop/index.php
or at the Grand Lake and Temescal farmer's markets Saturday and Sunday respectively. (We'll have lots of new clearance items at the Grand Lake market Saturday to make way for the new designs!)
-------------------------
-------------------------
Pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish
http://www.youtube.com/oaklandish
-------------------------
-------------------------

"Summer in the City"
Hot town, summer in the city

Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty

Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

And babe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights
In the summer, in the city
In the summer, in the city

Cool town, evening in the city
Dressing so fine and looking so pretty
Cool cat, looking for a kitty
Gonna look in every corner of the city
Till I'm wheezing like a bus stop
Running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop