Springtime in Oakland!
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.org)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
O A K L A N D I S H | newsletter | April 24, 2008
-------------------------
{ contents }
announcements: FIRST of 5 Oaklandish Innovators Award Winners
new designs: Cranes and Warriors Tees
free events: Earth Day Concert & Street Fair, Dance Parties, & Boating
got parking? - we're desperately trying to find a safe place to park the Oaklandish Mobile Ops rig
-------------------------
-------------------------
INNOVATORS AWARD:
Oakland has historically been a hotbed of renegade activity, where boundaries are redefined and trends are created rather than followed. To help encourage the continuation of this "trailblazers' legacy," Oaklandish has created the Oaklandish Innovators Award, a fund that offers annual grants to those organizations and individuals who are doing pioneering work in our community. Every year five honorees are selected, each receiving a $5,000 grant. The total award fund equals $25,000 annually, which we hope will grow with your support! The first of our 2008 Oaklandish Innovators Award winners is:
The Oakland Food Connection.

The Oakland Food Connection is a non-profit organization whose mission is to support the quality of life among Oakland's low-income residents by providing nutrition education and increasing access to local foods produced from sustainable practices from seed to table. All of this is achieved through several programs including: community gardening, agriculture and urban/rural sustainable food system projects, food production/distribution and nutrition education, as well as cultural gatherings (food parties and fundraisers) in order to create a stronger food network.

Oaklandish has began a dialogue with OFC to collaborate and work toward a common vision. Oaklandish will be recruiting volunteers for OFC to work on Oakland’s very first green school rooftop garden at EC Reems Academy. Save the date: May 17th from 10 am-3pm. COME OUT! Be part of an exciting project where you can get dirty and involved with your community.

Together with OFC we will be building new gardens in various schools in Oakland. We look forward to spreading education about gardening, nutrition, and cooking to youth that are in need of after-school programs, as well as bringing the Oakland community together. And of course we will be needing your help! Please keep an eye on our events page over the coming weeks as we post volunteer opportunities.

Thanks to the $5,000 grant that comes with the Oaklandish Innovators Award, The Oakland Food Connection will also be able to offer a summer program called Soul Food Fo’ Real, which will teach kids to grow and cook their own food. Oaklandish will incorporate arts- related classes highlighting gardening, environment, and reuse. Call OFC at (510) 482-1898 to apply for this program (June 20 - August 15).

More info: http://foodcommunityculture.org/

We will be announcing all of the winners of the Oaklandish Innovators Award over the next four weeks, so be sure to check your email for more winners!
-------------------------
-------------------------
NEW DESIGNS:
Always coming up with newer & fresher styles to express your love for Original Oakland Charm...
- Oaklandish Men's Cranes Tee in Black, Orange, or Green
- Warriors Throw-Back Tee (So, they didn't make the playoffs, don't stop believin'!)
- Online Store: http://www.oaklandish.com/shop/index.php?cPath=86
- Also available at the Grand Lake and Temescal Farmers' Markets (Saturdays and Sundays respectively)
- And at the new Oaklandish mini-store at "VERSE" Sneaker Boutique in Old Oakland @ 461 9th Street
-------------------------
-------------------------
FREE EVENTS:
Emeryville Community Center's Earth Day Concert and Street Fair.
Saturday, April 26th Free admission.
The Roots & Branches Ambulance will be located at the entrance to the street fair on 47th Street at Adeline Ave and will be hosting a group of youth drummers, painting the ambulance, and providing the sound system for the basketball tournament. @ Temescal Creek Park on the Corner of Adeline Ave. and 47th Street from 12-4 pm this Saturday. More info: http://www.rootsandbranches.info
-------------------------
Free Adult Ballet and Yoga classes in celebration on National Dance Week in America
26 April - 3 May at the Del Sol Ballet Theater
The Malonga Casquelauord Center for the Arts
1428 Alice Street Suite 306
Oakland, CA 94605
more info: http://www.delsolballettheater.org
-------------------------
Free Afro-Carribbean Dance Party!
Saturday, April 26th from 7 pm - 9pm
- Live music, desserts, and childcare
- Public is invited! All ages! Free event!
- Skyline Community Church, 12540 Skyline Boulevard, Oakland, CA 94605
- more info: http://www.skylineucc.org
-------------------------
Kids of the Kingdom Preschool will be hosting a Family Fun Day on Saturday April 26, 2008 from 10:00 AM- 2:00 PM. The event will include carnival games, a jumper, sack races, hot dogs and snow cones. There will also be arts & crafts, spring photos, resources for families and raffle prizes. Fun for the whole family! The event will be held on the grounds of the United Lutheran Church of Oakland -8800 Fontaine Street –Oakland, CA 94605. For more info call 510-569-0600. All Proceeds form the event go towards the 2008 Summer Program.
-------------------------
Lake Merritt Boating Center Open House
11am - 5 pm Free boat rentals! Free kayak and sailing lessons!
Enter to win free boating classes and lifejackets, water safety demos and games, information, contests, prizes, and refreshments... don't miss out!
568 Bellevue Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610 Call 510-238-2196
More info: http://www.oaklandnet.com/parks/programs/boating.asp
-------------------------
-------------------------
GOT PARKING?
If you have a safe place to park the Oaklandish Mobile Ops rig, we'd love to hear from you. It's about 20' long by 9' wide and needs about 9' of clearance. We'd prefer somewhere indoors, but a secure lot would be ok too. The rig doesn't go very fast, so a place in the general neighborhood of Lake Merritt or Temescal would be best. Thanks! Please email info [at] oaklandish.org.
Pass it on...
http://www.oaklandish.com
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish
http://www.youtube.com/oaklandish