NUGS
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 02:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
Go deep! Take an online course of study in Oakland Cultural History. Like, right now. At UCLA they teach this killer course... "We will explore the cultural roots of Oakland and how earlier cultural developments helped to lay the foundation for more recent ones while avoiding at all costs aloof academic analysis of pop culture phenomena. This class is for anyone interested in counter-culture or resistance history, urban development, minority issues, or modern urban and California culture, or anyone simply sharing our unconditional love for the realest place on earth – The Town." This amazing online syllabus has links to pdf files of all the reading materials! (We were proud to be included in the scope of study). Now, if we could only get this taught here.
Click & gain insight - - http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/07S/hist88s-1/linkpage.php

TONIGHT: Tuesday June 19th
Join us for a spirited session of
- URBAN CAPTURE THE FLAG -
8:30PM Frank Ogowa Plaza
(in front of City Hall) Downtown Oakland
right by the Bart Station.
Bring your running shoes.

Save the date: Salsa by the Lake
Sunday July 22nd, 2pm - 6pm

We're taking last minute submissions for the next (long overdue) Oakslander Zine.
To catch the vibe, read about our lil publication here: http://www.oaklandish.com/OAK/slander.html
Send submissions to info [at] oaklandish.com

Also, taking video submissions for this season's Liberation Drive-In, pirate movie theater.
(Dates TBA) We'll take anything that's somewhat short, odd, and local.
E-mail links to your YouTube or Google video: info [at] oaklandish.org
Or, drop off DVD or Mini-DV to the Oaklandish Mobile-Ops Rig (locations below).

Pick up Oaklandish Local-Love Apparel from the Rig this weekend
at the Grand Lake Farmer's Market on Saturday (9am-2pm)
and at the Piedmont Piano Company on Sunday (noon-6pm)

Just passing this along...
The brOakland Poetry Slam B.o.B.& Open-Mic
The Oakland Metro (201 Broadway, Oakland 94612)
Next Show: B.o.B. (Battle of The Bay) Thursday June 28th 2007
Hosted by Nazelah Jamison & Dahled w/DJ Agana
Show Starts @ 8:00 sharp! Full Bar w/ ID. ALL AGES!
$10 - $15 Sliding Scale - Pay What You Can
All proceeds go toward getting the team to Nationals.

Tell a friend.
http://www.oaklandish.com/
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish