Town Bliss
From: Oaklandish Events (oaklandish-listoaklandish.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:50:01 -0700 (PDT)
--------------------------------------
The Oakland International Film Festival:
The 5th Oakland International Film Festival is officially underway!
Get ready to see films like never before in the city of Oakland.
http://www.oaklandfilmsociety.org/
http://www.oiff.org/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
The Oakland Apollo Alliance presents a
SOLUTIONS SALON on "Green-Collar Jobs"
Featuring Aya de Leon, Nancy Nadel, Van Jones, and more!
"Can Oakland become the nation's leading "green-collar" city?"
WHEN: Thursday, September 21
6 - 7pm: Reception and light food (please bring your own cup and utensils, if you can)
7 - 9pm: Discussion
WHERE: Laney College Theatre
900 Fallon Street, Oakland, CA (near Lake Merritt BART Station)
Laney College Campus Map:
http://laney.peralta.edu/apps/page.asp?Q=TheatreMap&menutab=13
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
HELP FOX OAKLAND AND CLEVELAND CASCADE win funds from the American Express Partners in Preservation Award. You can vote every day until the end of October. Please help us show our support for these landmarks. It is an honor that these two were selected for the list of 25 candidates; now we need to get some e-votes to get them ranked highly enough to get a few dollars from this program. Vote daily at: http://partnersinpreservation.com/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
OAKLAND ARTS CLASH
Friday, October 6, 7-10pm
Malonga Casquelourd Center Theater
1428 Productions and The Electric Vandals proudly present Oakland Arts Clash, a showcase of live music, dance and visual arts by local Oakland artists. All proceeds from this Oakland arts adventure will benefit youth dance programs in Oakland. Confirmed artists include: Savage Jazz Dance Company, Dimensions Extensions Performance Ensemble, Art B4 Money, Harvey Cartel, DJ Sake1 (Local 1200s), KTD Graffiti Arts, and more TBA.
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandartsclash
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Night Of Reggae
w/ Native Elements, Selecta Curious & CV 1
Friday September 22nd
@ The Shattuck Downlow
2282 Shattuck Ave
9pm - 2am, 21+, $8
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Soul By The Pound
w/ DJ Riddm & DJ Saurus
Tuesdays 8-12 am (No Cover)
@ Luka's Tap Room
2221 Broadway @ West Grand
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
DJ Kitty Spins Funky Soul
Every Wednesday Night
@ Bar Kitty's
6702 Hollis Street @ 67th St
http://barkittys.com/
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
Peep a video preview of the Zion-I & Grouch Collaboration
"Heroes in the City of Dope",
A brand new Oakland-centric hip hop album.
(check the brief cameo by a brand new Oaklandish T-shirt design...)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid= -4117837639637254716&q=zion+i+grouch
--------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
And by the way, friends; Oaklandish is expanding!
We've recently hired a Director of Development, and have brought on new personnel in events & production.
We're also seeking a (part-time) production assistant who can handle inventory, shipping / receiving, & tabling at events.
More information here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ret/207089459.html
If interested, please send letters & resumes to positions [at] oaklandish.org
http;//www.oaklandish.org
http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish