Long Live Oaklandish
From: oaklandish-list (oaklandish-listoaklandish.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 01:22:20 -0800 (PST)
Ha!  Thought we were going away?  Not a chance.
(( That's the thing about this Grease, baby. ))
THE LATEST IN LOCAL LOVE:
1)  New Online Discussion Forums
2)  The Oaklandish My-Space Page
3)  Temescal Creek History Walk
4)  Oakland School-Kids: Photo Exhibit
5)  Seeking Youth Filmmakers in Oakland
6)  3rsdays: Oakland Poetry Slam
7)  Kyle's Weekly at the Ivy Room
8)  O.T.I.T. Keeps it Hott in the Nebula

1) NEW OAKLANDISH ONLINE FORUMS:
We just created a site where friends of Oaklandish can get online, interact, and express themselves! With a free account users can post news, events, pics, gossip or whatever 'local love' they feel like spreading! Come get in on the discussion... existing topics include: History & Roots, Secret Spots, Local Personalities, East Bay Arts & Theory, Oakland Music, and conspiracy theories about the gallery closing. So, go ahead log on!
LINK: http://www.oaklandish.org/forum/

2) OAKLANDISH "MY-SPACE" PAGE:
It's the new highfalutin' networking tool (so we've been told). Here's another way to stay engaged with the original oakland charm. When you get a My Space account then just go to our page and make us your "friend". That way we can all keep in touch, cross promote, and keep representin' the "O".
LINK: http://www.myspace.com/oaklandish

3) TEMESCAL CREEK NEIGHBORHOOD HISTORY TOUR:
Renowned local artist and activist Jeff Norman is offering locals a FREE “Walk the Talk” Guided Tour. He says, "Join us for a walking tour along the path of Temescal Creek through Temescal/lower Rockridge to learn about several key sites and the community history behind them"
* Saturday, November 12, 1–3 p.m.
* Meet at the bulletin board in Hardy Park (aka Frog Park) Hardy St. and Claremont Ave.
* Bring water, hat, or umbrella as needed.
The free walking tour will feature guest speakers some of whom participated
in the community initiatives and collective actions that helped shape these
sites as we experience them today. Topics will include the routing of the
Grove Shafter Freeway (Hwy. 24), culverting of Temescal Creek, building of
the Rockridge-Temescal Greenbelt, closing of the Pussycat Theater,
development of Temescal Plaza (Walgreens), and creation of the PostMark
Temescal public art site. The tour will end with a reception at Temescal Amity Works, just off
Telegraph and 49th St. The event is sponsored by Temescal Amity Works
For more information, call 428-1210 or 653-7190.
LINK: http://www.amityworks.org

4) PHOTO SHOW CELEBRATES CHILDREN OF OAKLAND:
"Looking For Hope" Photography by Matt O'Brien w/ text by students from the Oakland Public Schools
October 5th - November 27th, 2005 (FREE), Artist's Lecture: Thursday, November 10th 7:00 pm
At the Graduate School of Journalism Center for Photography, UC Berkeley North Gate Hall, Room 105
LINK: http://www.asucartstudio.org/
RECENT PRESS: Mean Streets, Gentle Souls (SF Chronicle)
LINK: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/05/DDGDHFIRQ81.DTL

5) SEEKING YOUTH FILMMAKERS IN OAKLAND:
Are you a young filmmaker between 15-19 looking for a way to make films? Youth Sounds is currently accepting applications for youth to join our video production intensive, The Factory. In this collaborative program, Youth Factory Producers create professional-quality short films, music videos, and public service announcements. Our short films have played in film festivals and broadcast internationally, winning numerous awards around the country. We are looking for highly motivated youth who can thrive in a professional production environment. This free, year-round program meets in downtown Oakland from 4pm-7pm, Monday through Thursday, during the school year. Download an application from their website:
LINK: http://youthsounds.org/programs/factory/index.html

6) 3RSDAYS: OAKLAND POETRY SLAM:
Hello Oakland Poetry Fans – the days are short, the nights are cold and wet, but the Oakland Slam is still warm and toasty, setting poetic fires every 3rd Thursday at the Oakland Metro in downtown Oakland! That’s right folks –3rdsdays opens the Slam mic to anyone who has something to say. There’s $60 cash prizes just waiting for a starving poet to scoop it up. There’s tasty hip hop salsa dishes, spun by your favorite female DJ, Agana. And, of course, your hosts with the most, Nazelah Jamison & Dahled. So come sign up for the Slam: rant, rave! Make fun of our current presidential administration. But most of all, come and commune with like-minded poetical folks such as yourself – see you at the Slam! (2nd and Broadway)
LINK: http://www.oaklandmetro.org/

7) KOOL KYLE + INSPECTOR DOUBLE NEGATIVE > THURSDAYS AT THE IVY-ROOM:
This free weekly party has become the default Thursday night hang session (the homies are most definitely in house). So every week (EXCEPT THIS COMING ONE!) come have a beer, shake a leg, and hear a rotating roster of bands and DJ's. FOR FREE.
LINK: http://www.ivyroom.com/

8) OAKTUCKY TECHNICAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY KEEPS IT HOTT IN THE OFF-SEASON:
(AI) Artificial Ignorance is the new code - - O.T.I.T. aims to provide you with the necessary tools to live and possibly flourish within the Oaktucky nebula. Unkle Fun and The Institute sponsor poppin' events basically all-the-time. Like this one: IDN, LAE, DJ's Treat-U-nice & Selecta Curious, Friday Nov 25 at the Down-Low. $7 - Bo-Peep it and other ongoing jammies...
LINK: http://www.otit.org/events1.html

That's it for now + we've got some shht in the works so stay tuned!

& Keep Warm,
Bobby Peru

big shout to Aladdin Sarsippius Sulemanagic Jackson the III
OAKLANDISH
info [at] oaklandish.org
http://www.oaklandish.org